The Sainsbury's School Games is a national programme that aims to motivate and inspire millions of young people across the country to take part in more competitive school sport. Over £128m of Lottery and Government funding is being invested to support the School Games.
The School Games gives primary and secondary students the chance to compete at school and regional levels with the most talented competing at a national level. The competition is open to all and encourages young people to participate in competitive sport across all levels of ability and experience. Disabled sports are included at every level of the competition.
Nationally and locally the Sainsbury's School Games is being delivered through partnerships. The national partnership is made up of:
- the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS)
- the Department for Education (DofE)
- the Department of Health (DOH);
- Sport England
- Youth Sport Trust
At a local level, the Sainsbury's School Games are led by School Games Organisers (SGO's) and delivered by schools, clubs, and County Sports Partnerships.
The Games are made up of three levels of activity - competition in schools, between schools, and at a county/area level:
- Intra-school (Level 1) - sporting competitions for all students in school through intra-school competition
- Inter-school (Level 2) - individuals and teams are selected to represent their schools in local inter-school competitions
- Sainsbury's School Games Festivals (Level 3) - the county/area will stage multi-sport Sainsbury's School Games Festivals as a culmination of year-round school sport competition.
At Hilton Primary Academy we offer Level One competitions to all children through competition weeks within our PE Curriculum, and events for all children during National School Sport Week. These Level One Competitions help us select out teams for the Level Two Competitions, and hopefully these teams can qualify for the Level Three County finals!
Details of forthcoming competitions can be found on our 'Sports Competitions, Festivals and Events' page, and details of the Sainsbury's School Games events can be found at: http://www.yourschoolgames.com/your-school/profile/slug/hilton-primary-academy
Our School Games Day is our Sports Day on Friday 24th June 2016 which will be the culmination of a week of sporting activities during National School Sports Week (Monday 20th-Friday 24th June - further details to follow....